WASHINGTON—President Donald J. Trump has appointed cabinet members, justices and signed executive orders directly attacking members of the LGBT community, according to continuous reports by the Human Rights Campaign.
To maintain a record of such attacks, the HRC has started a timeline that chronicles Trump’s first 100 days in office and lists the incidents one by one, as it spotlights efforts to undermine the LGBTQ community from “rescinding guidelines protecting transgender students, to appointing Jeff Sessions to the nation’s highest law enforcement post, to threatening a ‘license to discriminate’ Executive Order and erasing LGBTQ people in federal data gathering—as well as how the community is fighting back.” The timeline will be updated daily, according to the organization.
“Since the moment he walked into the Oval Office, Donald Trump has attacked our progress and undermined the rights of countless Americans,” said HRC President Chad Griffin. “After promising to be a president for all Americans, Trump has stacked his cabinet with anti-LGBTQ officials, rescinded protections for transgender students, pushed a Muslim ban and draconian deportation orders, and is reportedly considering a license to discriminate order. But instead of dividing us, Donald Trump has united us. Never before have Americans been more eager to participate, to advocate and to fight back. And today, HRC and our grassroots army are harnessing the full power of our democracy to protect our progress and resist Donald Trump’s attacks.”
In the run up to the 100 day mark, HRC is also launching a social campaign spotlighting 100 Messages of Hope that highlight how people have come together—and to encourage people to post their own messages.
Since Inauguration Day, HRC members and supporters have logged hundreds of thousands of calls, e-mails and meetings with members of Congress to rally for the Affordable Care Act, to fight Trump’s nomination of anti-LGBTQ Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch and other appointees, to lobby for the Equality Act and more. HRC has also mobilized tens of thousands of supporters for protests outside the White House to #ProtectTransKids and join grassroots rallies across the nation—including the Women’s March and Save Our Care events.
Some of Trump’s most disgraceful actions targeting the LGBTQ community include:
- Rolling back Title IX guidance detailing critical school protections for transgender students;
- Appointing and nominating anti-LGBTQ extremists to all levels of government; including Jeff Sessions, Tom Price, Ben Carson, Mark Green, Roger Severino, and many others;
- Nominating anti-LGBTQ judge, Neil Gorsuch, to a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court of the United States;
- Erasing LGBTQ data collection from federal surveys;
- Scrubbing all mentions of LGBTQ issues from the White House website only hours into his administration;
- Signing an executive order stating policy to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) — landmark legislation that provides access to healthcare for millions of LGBTQ people;
- Leaking a draft of his plan to grant a taxpayer-funded license to discriminate against the LGBTQ community;
- Signing a cruel executive order blocking all Syrian refugees and prohibiting nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S.
[From a news release.]